Now that we’ve discussed hair type in-depth, it only makes…
If you’re feeling anything like me this year, it’s a bit shocking (and very exciting) that summer starts next month. For many of us, that means it’s time to get bathing suit ready, plan summer getaways, update the wardrobe, and/or just prepare for all the fun that summer brings. It’s also the perfect time to start thinking about ways to protect your hair in the upcoming months.
Although our weather conditions and activities vary, one thing most of us will be doing this summer is spending time in the pool. Pool time means that your hair will be exposed to chlorine, and while chlorine is completely necessary for sanitary reasons, it’s not so great for your hair.
Effects of chlorine on your hair
Chlorine acts as a drying agent and can strip your hair of sebum, oil that it needs to be moisturized and healthy. This exposure can cause hair to be dry, brittle, and weak.
Protect your Hair from Chlorine
Thankfully, there are things you can do before, during, and after your swim that will help decrease or prevent chlorine damage.
- Rinse your hair – Our hair is like a sponge, it absorbs liquid until its “full”. By “filling it up” with clean water, you’re making it less likely to absorb the chlorinated water.
- Apply a conditioner – Using a conditioner on the length of your hair will seal the cuticles and provide a barrier of protection against the chlorine.
- Rinse every hour – If you’re spending a longer amount of time in the pool, get out periodically and rinse your hair. This will rinse away any chlorine that’s been absorbed and will fill the cuticle with clean water again.
- Use a clarifying shampoo to clean the hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Apply the moisturizer/conditioner again – After a day in the pool and sun, re-hydrating your hair is very important.
We developed Ovation Clarifying Therapy Shampoo to specifically remove excess build-up of minerals like chlorine as well as other damaging products and/or chemicals. Ovation Clarifying Therapy Shampoo is paraben free and formulated with a mild surfactant and EDTA to ensure the breakdown of build-up and removal of minerals. Our Clarifying Shampoo also contains amino acids and other ingredients that moisturize protect hair making it more manageable and shiny.
By taking these simple steps, you can get in all the pool time you need without sacrificing the health of your summer hair. Remember these tips for your family as well, children tend to spend even more time it the water and keeping their hair hydrated is just as important.
Summer is almost here, enjoy!
Next Post: Mother’s Day Gift Ideas at Ovation Hair
Previous Post: Healthy Hair Tip: Use a Thermal Protection Spray Daily